Sunday, August 20, 2017

Amsterdam - Week 57 Part 2



And then it was my last day in Amsterdam. We had District Lunch at Vapianos. ​Look at this group: 


Then the next day.... transfers happened.... 



Transfers are insane. 

Three very heavy suitcases (two of which are very broken, the wheels don't turn anymore, but I will make it to the end of my mission with them, I swear!!) and one bike with a flat tire. And one missionary with only two arms. Crossing a country. 

So we begin with traveling in a pack to centraal station. There are six of us, but three of us are leaving, so multiply the above by three. Luckily that's an okay arm to baggage/bike ratio. 

Then we get to Centraal, and the elevators are broken, and bikes HAVE to go up elevators, so we have to take the other ones on the other side that lead somewhere else. Luckily I've done this already like a million times, so I'm a pro. 

This involves 3 people, with 3 bikes, with 3 suitcases, all squished into one tiny dutch elevator. And you have to do it twice.Because there's two elevators. It's pretty much tetris. There were suitcases on bikes, people sitting on suitcases, and everyone was crammed. it was great. I'm officially a pro at elevator tetris. 

Then we all succesfully make it to Centraal with all of our luggage. That is always the scary part. With trams and metros, people and luggage can left behind and separated from the group, which almost happened. 

But all was well. 

Then we all in our pack at Amsterdam Station. I buy my fiets ticket and my international ticket and my travel plans are suddenly rearranged and I have to switch trains TWICE. One time within five minutes. 

Three pieces of luggage. One bike. Two arms. Different train. Five minutes. 

I'm a little nervous. 

But I get to my first train and I'm waiting for it with Sister Gilbert. When Elder Hunter shows up to help with my stuff. And he's telling us that he just helped two people arrive in the station, Sister Walman and Sister Parker. 

"Wait what?" I say. "Sister Parker" Sister Parker is my trainer. My Mission mom. And one of my best friends. And she's just about to go home to America, and this is the last time I will be able to see her in a REALLY long time. And I had no idea that she was coming through here. 

And she's downstairs. Somewhere. 

Elder Hunter realizes how important this is to me, and he's like "crap, I had no idea. I would have told her. Crap. Is there time??" 

But just at that moment the train pulls in. And I have to get on immediately. My heart is sinking and I actually feel terrible. I'm starting to pull my stuff toward the train when all of a sudden I hear a very familiar: 

"SISTER HAYNIE"  

AHHHH. I turn and see Sister Parker has just SPRINTED up to my platform to say goodbye to me, and she's panting, and I legit want to cry as we hug. I LOVE HER SO MUCH. She has done so much for me and has always been there for me and is one the most sincerely good people I have ever met in my life. 



She helped me get my stuff on the train. 

I LOVE HER. 

And then I left.  It was really sad saying goodbye to her and also to Sister Gilbert. I really love them. 

Transfers after that were good. Luckily I was iwth another missionary on that train, and we both had to do the five minute train switch together. So there was 6 bags and 2 bikes and 2 very stressed missionaries throwing all of their crap onto the next train, one bringing the stuff to the other person who waits by the doors and puts it into the compartment and makes sure that the train won't leave without the missionary or stuff, hahaha.

STRESS. 


And then I switched trains again and I got to see Sister Mercer (LOVE HER) as she helped me get onto my international train. 

Goodbye Nederland!!!

And now I'm here, in Belgium!!! In Anterwerpen!!!




It's super ghetto and grimy and awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment