Monday, July 25, 2016

Sliedrecht - Week 8 - Journal

Sooo another week is done! This week was better than the first but it's still really hard. I feel like everyone in the Netherlands hates me hahahah. "Mag ik een boodschap met u delen?" änd their response is altijd "Geen interresse!!" It gets really discouraging after a couple hours of that. We don't have very many appointments for now but hopefully it will look up! 

I can't upload photos right now because we have a windows XP computer... It's really sad. And slow. And libraries here cost money, but we might go just to upload pictures because I'm scared of them being lost. I have a whole two weeks worth of pictures right now. 

Some smells I smell a lot here are: 

-In the stores smells like yummy bread
-There is a lot of smoke since everyone smokes here 
-There is a very particular sewer smell when you go over sewer drains. That is also what our apartment smells like if we don't block the shower drain with a towel. 

I don't really understand what people are saying, but it's really easy to revert to English which is both a bad thing and a good thing. If I need to communicate but can't, it's nice that I can say it in English and they will most likely generally understand. During appointments I can understand what the conversation is about but not really what we're saying about the topic in particular. 

I live in Sliedrecht which is a cute small town, but we also go to Papendrecht, Gorinchem, and Dordrecht, although the Elders live in Dordrecht. Dordrecht and Gorinchem are GORGEOUS. You have to look up pictures! There are so many canals and gorgeous churches. Unfortunately, our P-Day is on monday and literally everything cool (like the churches and WWII museums) are closed on monday... We ride the train all of the time and we especially bike EVERYWHERE. We also got to go on a waterbus! 

It has also been SO hot this past week. Like 88 and humid and I come home a sticky mess all of the time. it really sucks. I am really glad that I cut my hair. 

The other day while door-knocking I found a cool Market Garden monument. Apparently Sliedrecht was a place where they would distribute medicine and stuff along the line. Pretty cool. 

Also, I am always hungry....

No comments:

Post a Comment